By Alejandra Rojas

The men’s soccer team fell short to Bethany College 1-0, Saturday in their third conference match up. The Builder’s are now 1-2 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference.

“They were exactly what our coaches told us they were going to be,” said Jason Bond, senior defender, about their opponent. “We knew exactly what was coming at us. We did everything right, expect put the ball in the back of the net. We got unlucky.”

Julio Calderon, freshman midfielder said he thought the team dominated most of the possession during the game.

“We really took control over the game,” he said. “The only thing we did wrong was we couldn’t score. If we do that we will be good in the future.”

Ruben Sanchez, head men’s coach said he thought the team played pretty well.

“I thought today was one of our better games in terms of doing things we’ve asked them to do like being patient, possessing and those types of things,” said Sanchez. “The frustrating part was we just didn’t finish on our opportunities and not being able to reward ourselves with a win after playing well.”

Although the team was unsuccessful with finding the back of the net, Bond said the team played well.

“I think everyone would agree, we played a complete game, but we need to score,” said Bond.
The Builders will host Tabor College at 7 p.m. on Oct. 13.

Calderon said what the team needs to work on in order to beat Tabor is on finishing.

“We are going to have to work hard on our finishing and our mind set needs to get better for the next game,” he said.

Sanchez said he agrees with working on finishing.

“But the main thing is just to keep our composure and being patient when we have those opportunities and to finish them whenever they come up,” he said. “I think we would have come up on top. It’s just a matter of focusing and making the guys concentrate some more when we do finishing,” said Sanchez.

Alejandra Rojas is a senior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at alejandra.rojas@sckans.edu.