By Morgan Givney

Early dominance and good ball control provided the men’s soccer team momentum during the first half of their game Wednesday, which brought them scoring opportunities. However, the momentum shifted in the second half and Sterling took the lead and ultimately the win.  The men’s record for the season is now 3-8.

Starting the game with multiple shots on goal, Felix Amankwah, freshman forward, scored the first goal for the Builders. Set up by a corner kick, this gave the Builders an early lead with 38:20 remaining in the first half.

“I feel good about how we started the game,” said Abel Trujillo, freshman midfielder.

Continuing their shooting opportunities, Jordan Garcia, freshman midfielder, connected with the back of the net, making the score 2-0 with 34:38 still on the clock in the first half.

Ryan Varney, sophomore goalkeeper, made a great stop with 13:29 left in the first half, keeping Sterling off the scoreboard. The half ended with the Builders dominating the ball and keeping Sterling scoreless.

“I thought we did a great job of capitalizing on our opportunities early.  We jumped out to an early lead and we kept creating good chances for ourselves.  We did a good job of retaining possession in the first half as well,” said Ruben Sanchez, head men’s soccer coach.

The second half began, and once again there were early scoring opportunities for the Builders. However, Sterling found those opportunities as well and got on the scoreboard with 25:46 remaining in the second half.

This shifted the momentum in Sterling’s favor, and they quickly took advantage, scoring again at 21:25. The score was now tied at 2-2. Both teams began playing with a sense of urgency, and Sterling connected with the goal again with 15:36 remaining in the game.

Playing hard, the Builders stepped up their defense and had a stop on goal at 12:32 by Varney. Then, Colin Baker, sophomore midfield, had a crucial stop in the goal, keeping the score at 3-2 with 11:50 left on the clock.

“We let momentum swing their way and they jumped all over us.  We will regroup and try to fix the mistakes we made,” said Sanchez.

Putting up a good fight, the Builders just couldn’t battle back from the three goal run Sterling had in the second half, and at the final whistle the score remained 3-2.

“I feel like we started off extremely strong, and it showed. In the second half we had moments where we were still strong,” said Josh Buller, freshman midfielder.

Morgan Givney is a freshman with an undecided major. You may e-mail her at morgan.givney@sckans.edu.