Joseph Coyle, sophomore forward, fights for possession of the ball Sept. 12 against Manhattan Christian College. The men lost 1-0 to the Crusaders. Their next game is against Mid-America Christian Saturday.

By Lacie Holbert

As Saturday approaches, the men’s soccer team is preparing for their game against Mid-America Christian University. The Warriors are coming in with a 2-1 record for this year.

Scott Rethrost, sophomore defense, is anxious about playing the Warriors this year. “It’s a little bittersweet going into this game because of last year’s game. There was some tension at the beginning of the game, due to our goalie getting a red card, which resulted in the rest of the game having more tension then expected.”

Ruben Sanchez , head men’s soccer coach, said Mid America Christian is a tough team with a lot of talent. Sanchez also said that since they have home field advantage, the team can win and thinks it will be a good match.

The Builders lost to Manhattan Christain1-0 on Sept. 12. Stefan Carter, freshmen midfielder, said, “In my opinion Manhattan Christian was not a very strong team. I think the starting 11 was tired from the Sept. 10 game. If we would have been recharged then I definitely think we would have won against Manhattan Christian.”

The men’s team ended a game against Oklahoma Wesleyan with a 0-0 tie last Thursday night. Sanchez said, “We made a lot of improvement going into the Oklahoma Wesleyan game.” Sanchez said they looked better as a team and more together. “What’s frustrating as a team is that we did not put away our opportunities that we should have in the back of the net.”

Carter thought the team made better decisions then the first game against Bacone College.

Carter said, “We had a lot better teamwork and ball movement this game. I think we just need to focus more on putting goals away.”

D.J. Donner, freshman right defender, said, “I think we played overall pretty well. We had our chances, but couldn’t really put anything in which is unfortunate. I thought we were the better team, but sometimes it’s not always the way it turns out.”

The men’s soccer team’s first game was against Bacone College. They lost 2-0. Carter said they didn’t play well as a team and made some bad decisions on the field.

Rethrost said, “I think that Bacone was not as strong as us but had more experience and games under their belt then we did, which turned out to be in their favor.” Rethorst said that this was their first full field game and thought that maybe that played a little bit of a role in the performance against the Warriors.

The team played Central Christian College yesterday. Results were not available at press time.

Lacie Holbert is a sophomore majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at Lacie.Holbert@sckans.edu.