By Paige Carswell

Ruben Sanchez isn’t sure what to expect tomorrow when his team takes on Bacone College.

Fortunately, if it goes anything like the beginning of the season has so far for the men’s soccer team, he can expect a decent game.

The men, coming off of a season in which they won only one game altogether (and zero in conference play), won two of their first three games this year and have already scored three-fourths the number of goals in all of their 2009 season.

Led by a core of players that includes five freshmen starters, Sanchez said he wasn’t sure where the team would be when they began the season this past weekend in Dallas, but he ended up being pleasantly surprised. They took out two non-conference opponents in their first two games.

In their first game, the men shut out a weak Dallas Christian College team 3-0. They were led in goals by freshman forward Karlo Sanchez, who scored two. Jonathan Torres, freshman midfielder, scored the other. Daniel Forsyth, junior goalkeeper, ended up with eight saves and Edgar Gonzaga, freshman midfielder, had two assists.

In the second game against the much stronger Southwestern Assemblies of God University, the men pulled out a 2-1 win in double overtime. Andrew Bonvehi, senior forward, scored both goals for the Builders. Bonvehi was assisted by Torres and Jordan Silerio-Rivas, sophomore forward, with the goals. Forsyth had 15 saves.

“I thought the for the first weekend, we looked pretty good,” said Sanchez. “I wasn’t really sure what to expect for those games, but we went out and played hard, and the ball just kind of bounced our way.”

In the men’s loss Thursday evening to Oklahoma Wesleyan University, they went into halftime tied at 1-1. After that, though, the scoring was lopsided. They fell to OWU 3-1 for their first loss.

Still, with six games until conference play, Sanchez is hopeful.

“We have a lot of time from now until our first match that counts,” he said. “We definitely want to win and we want to go in their with a pretty good record, but right now we’re preparing.”

Part of the preparation, he said, will be building a team bond. Sanchez brought in seven freshmen—and he’s currently starting five of them.
“That says a lot about the class that we brought in, talent-wise,” said Sanchez. “Our main thing is, we’re still pretty young. We need to get better as a team. That’s what I’m looking for.”

The game against Bacone kicks off at 4 p.m. tomorrow. Bacone comes in with a 1-2 record, coming most recently off of a 2-0 loss to Lyon College.
“I’m not too sure what to expect from these guys,” said Sanchez. “I think they’ll be just as good as any of the teams we’ve seen so far.”

The men won’t begin conference until Oct. 1 with an 8 p.m. game at Friends University.

“The (games) we are preparing for are the ones that count, and that’s how we’re looking at the games right now,” said Sanchez.

Paige Carswell is a senior majoring in journalism. You may e-mail her at paige.carswell@sckans.edu.