Karlo Sanchez, Southwestern College forward (centre), dribbles the ball pass Brenden Moore (left) and Joshua Funk (right) at the KCAC game Friday. The Builders lost 4-1. (Jonathan Woon/Collegian photographer)

By Alissa Sheppard

After losing 4-1 to their nearby rivals, Friends University, Friday Sept. 30, the men’s soccer team is trying to work out the kinks of their new 3-5-2 formation. Clogging the mid-field with players is how the men’s soccer team plan to keep their opponent from scoring.

Once everyone gets it down and learns their correct spot, this formation will be a success, said Si Henderson, freshman left wing feels about the new formation. Henderson feels like the game would have went better if the team would have been a little more focused. “We could have scored, but we let it slip through our hands,” said Henderson. He also said if the team is not focused and the effort is not there, they won’t win any game no matter what the formation is.

The team’s focus of ‘coming out strong and playing your best’ is what Auggie Valadez, freshman goalie, keeps in his mind for every game. “We had chances but we didn’t take them. We let the opponent hang around too long and finish their chances,” said Valadez. With a lack of communication during Friday’s game, Valadez plans to work harder at learning the new formation so the team can dominate at it.

Alissa is a senior majoring in communication. You may contact her at alissa.sheppard@sckans.edu.