By: Ozzie Briesch

Despite their best efforts yesterday evening, Southwestern’s Men’s Soccer team could not find their winning spirit, losing 2-1 against Central Christian College.

The Builders fell into a 1-0 deficit late in the 39th minute after a sharp cross from the Tiger midfield entered the box and found its way into the back of the Moundbuilder net off the Boot of Tiger forward Oscar Pizano.

“We got caught standing and watching when the ball came in, and when no one pressured it was easy for them to set up and take the goal,” said Caleb Partin, sophomore midfielder.

Ian Mutio, senior forward and former Builder staring Goalkeeper saw his first game of the season yesterday and with it, his first career goal for the Moundbuilders. Mutio was delivered a beautiful cross just above the goalkeeper’s hands to end with a firm header into the net tying the game 1-1 in the 43rd minute.

“I was never so happy to see the field in my life, and when I scored it was the best feeling ever! When I saw how happy my teammates were for me, it just reminded me why I wanted to be back on the team again so badly,” said Mutio.

The Builders showed boundless potential throughout the game with 14 shots on goal, with six testing the opposing goalkeeper.

Sean Hill, senior forward showed his unmatched mental strength in the game after countless obvious cheap shots on the pitch by the Tigers defense. Throughout the entire game, Hill’s ankles would be kicked, feet purposely stepped on while not near the field of play, and smack talked in his face until finally the referee awarded a yellow card to number three Agustin Riccombeni, freshman defender.

“The kid was just trying to get into my head and saw that it wasn’t working, so he tried to start stepping on me and giving me cheap shots to the ankles. When he got the yellow I just smiled and said ‘that’s what you get,’” said Hill.

With this defeat, the Moundbuilders take their second defeat in a row, and last home game as a loss. The Men’s soccer team now stands (3-4) on their record. Their minds now focused on their next away game against Barclay College in Haviland Kansas. Kick off starts at 7 o’ clock.

Ozzie Briesch is a sophomore majoring in communication, you may email him at Austin.briesch@sckans.edu.