By Caitlin Dyck

With four conference games left to battle through, the men’s soccer team stays positive for the future. “It’s a rebuilding year, but I definitely think were taking the right steps to progress,” said Captain Miguel Rodriguez, junior center back.

The Moundbuilders, who are 1-4 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference, took on the Ottawa Braves, who are 3-1-1 in conference play, in Ottawa Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. Southwestern did not return with a win, losing 2-0, but for this young team, respect and acknowledgment is all they can ask for this year. “Every game were getting more used to each other and seeing each other’s strengths and weaknesses,” said Colin Baker, junior center. “We are moving off of the ball well and were improving our work ethic which is gaining us respect from other teams.”

Having a young team can make it difficult to win games, but Ruben Sanchez, head men’s soccer coach, is pleased with the progress and improvements the team has made. “I think we’re getting better as a team. We’re really young, starting seven to eight freshmen, but we are making improvements and changes when we need to, which I feel good about,” said Sanchez.

Now 1-5 in conference play, Southwestern will fight against top ranked Kansas Wesleyan at 3:30pm on Oct. 23 in Salina.

Caitlin Dyck is senior majoring in general communication. You may e-mail her at caitlin.dyck@sckans.edu