The men’s soccer team put up a valiant fight against Tabor, but managed to lose by one shot Wednesday. In the first half of the game with 39:50 on the clock, Karlo Sanchez, sophomore forward, took a shot at the goal, but went high. Felix Amankwah, freshman forward, had two fouls called on him, one at 37:56 and the other at 33:12. “I think the calls from referees against me [were] fair,” said Amankwah.

Then Amankwah was called for being offside on 32:47 left on the clock. Ryan Varney, sophomore goalkeeper, made a save against Marian at the 25:15 mark on the clock. As the minutes ticked by in the first half, Austin Sacket, junior midfielder, took a shot at the goal, but aimed high. Abel Trujillo, freshman midfielder, was given a yellow card with 2:33 left in the first half.

The score was 0-0 at the end of the first half. The second half mirrored the first with repetitions of fouls on both sides of the field. A foul was called on Ricardo Dorantes, freshman midfielder, with 38:09 left on the clock. After that was called, Tabor’s Robert Masson scored a goal, assisted by Marian Saar, at the 37:29 mark.

Southwestern tried to answer with a kick from Sacket that went wide with 35:56 on the clock.

Southwestern then tried to gain the upper hand, but stumbled when Tabor’s Jordan Maska scored a goal against them.

Southwestern answered this time with a header by Sanchez. “All I could think of is keeping the momentum going to get the second goal in to tie the game,” said Sanchez after his first goal.

Time was not on the Builder’s side as they attempted to tie the game. At the end of the game, Tabor won 2-1.

“We did some good things last night versus a very good Tabor team,” said Ruben Sanchez, head men’s soccer coach. “I thought we prepared well for the math again them, we just made a couple of mistakes and they capitalized on them.” “Our schedule does not get easier,” said Sanchez. “We play against a very good Bethel team this weekend. I expect a very tough match this weekend; however I think our guys are up to the challenge.” Southwestern plays against Bethel in North Newton on October 15.

Richard Gould is a senior majoring in business administration. You may email him at richard.gould@sckans.edu.