By Jake Heronemus

Men’s soccer played against the Dallas Christian College Crusaders Aug. 30. The game ended in a 7-2 victory for the Moundbuilders.

The first half was quick underway when Emerson Mentor, junior forward, scored the first goal at 27:31, then the second just five minutes later.

“Emerson Mentor played his first game of the semester today, and he really gave the team the spark and the energy they needed on the hot day,” said Joseph Yeisley, Men’s Soccer Head Coach.

Si Henderson, sophomore middle forward, Garrett Chapman, freshmen defender, and Jordan Garcia, junior center midfielder, helped give the Moundbuilders a 5-0 lead early in the second half. In the last 15 minutes of the half the Crusaders came back with two goals but the Builders retaliated with two equal goals in the final minute.

Mentor shot the ball into the net just as the clock ticked zero to make the Men’s Soccer record for the season 1-1.

“In order to continue improving for the season the team needs to keep it simple,” said Yeisley.

“As each game progresses, we improve more each time. This time we moved the ball a lot better than in our last game, and we communicated a lot better. We just need to practice more,” said Ian Mutio, junior goal keeper.

“We need to continue to improve,” said Assistant Coach Chris Allen. “These first two games are not good enough. They are not good enough to get us to playoffs, or KCAC. We need to continue to improve.”

Mentor, Garcia, and Ian Mutio were mentioned as key players in this game.

The men will take a trip to Joplin, Mo. Sept. 3 to play Ozark Christian College, kicking off at 4 p.m.

Jake Heronemus is a junior majoring in communication. You may email him at Jacob.heronemus@sckans.edu