By Dalton Carver

The Southwestern Men’s Golf has one last chance to prepare for the tumultuous spring season. That chance comes in the form of the Fall Shootout, hosted by Northwood University and located at Tangle Ridge Golf Club in Grand Prairie, Texas.

Although Bethany will be the only conference team attending the tournament, Brad Sexson, head men’s golf coach, still believes it will prepare the team accordingly. “It’s just a good field to play against,” said Sexon.

“We’re a pretty solid team,” said Shane Gilbert, freshman. “If we just play our game, we should do pretty well.”

Southwestern is just one of many teams going into Northwood to compete, but that doesn’t seem to deter anyone on the squad. “The large amount of teams shouldn’t affect our performance,” said Raleigh Hughes, senior. “With our team being as strong as we are this year, having a little competition doesn’t scare us.”

With Southwestern ranked 26th in the nation, everyone expects successful results. “We should be able to play well,” said Sexson. “We’re loaded with seniors and are just a really good team this year.”

“The five that are going are pretty solid,” said Gilbert. “I’m expecting good results.”

The squad has a chance to set the bar, as this is the first time they have attended this tournament. However, Hughes and Gilbert have had no trouble doing that this year. “Raleigh Hughes and Tim Jasper have performed very well for the most of the year,” said Sexson. “Shane Gilbert has done excellent as well.”

“Our seniors, Jordan, Raleigh and Tim perform the best for the team,” said Gilbert. “Everybody seems to play off of them.”

With the conclusion of this tournament comes the conclusion of the fall season. “The fall season is a good warm up for spring,” said Hughes. “We’ve played really well in the fall and it’s a great practice for a strong spring season.”

Dalton Carver is a freshman majoring in communication. You can e-mail him at dalton.carver@sckans.edu.