Continuing their season, the Moundbuilder golf team traveled to Fort Worth, Texas to play the annual UST Mamiya Texas Intercollegiate Championship hosted by Texas Wesleyan. The men’s team placed ninth out of 20 teams.

Neither head golf coach, Brad Sexson nor assistant head golf coach, Tim Jasper, were available to answer questions

The Moundbuilders finished ninth the first half and repeated in the same place during the second half of the invitational. The team had 316 strokes the first day and closed the second round with 319 strokes.

The men’s golf team ended with a total of 635 strokes.

The hosting team, Texas Wesleyan, finished first in both rounds. The Rams ended the first half with 289 strokes and 283 for the second. This summed up for a total of 572 strokes.

Bobby Weidner, business administration senior, led the team during the invitational played at Hawks Creek Golf Course.

“The tournament was a big learning for our team,” said Weidner. “We needed this experience to grow stronger for when conference comes around.”

Weidner had a score card of 149 total strokes. He stroked 75 during the first half and stroked one less for the next day. Weidner was placed 16 overall.

“The course was tough with fast greens,” said Weidner.

Shane Gilbert, business administration sophomore, followed Weidner on the 27th place. Gilbert had a total of 153 strokes. He stroked 73 and 80.

Justin Churchill, business administration freshman, was the third best placed Moundbuilder. Churchill had 82 strokes during the first half, and 84 during the second.

Luke Arneson, accounting junior, finished on the 58th spot with 168 strokes.

Arneson said, “We struggled a little bit on the greens, but adjusted by the second day.”

Seth Bryan, business management freshman, only participated the first day. He ended with 86 strokes and was disqualified the second half.

“We were playing against very strong competitors that were ranked national teams,” said Arneson. “It was a good experience against strong competition, and we are ready for our home tournament next week.”

The men’s golf team will try to do better next week (March 18 and 19) as they host the South Central Kansas Spring Invitational. The tournament will be played at Quail Ridge Golf Course.

Angel Vadillo is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at angel.vadillo@sckans.edu