By Garrett Chapman

Southwestern carded a second-round 309 and finished 13th overall out of 17 teams that competed in the NAIA Contender Tuesday at TPC Four Seasons, in Las Colinas, Texas.

The Builders finished with a two-day score of 333-309—642 on the par-71 course and finished two shots behind of Southwestern Christian University (OK.) and six shots in front of John Brown (Ark.).

Brad Sexson, head coach, said, “I think the experience of playing on a tough course against nationally ranked teams will help us in the tournaments to come.”

In the field was Wayland Baptist, who was ranked No. 2 in the 2015 NAIA Men’s Golf Coaches’ Preseason Poll. Wayland Baptist finished fourth shooting 306-297=603. No. 5 Oklahoma City also competed in the tournament; they finished in first place and lead the field carding 301-272=573.

The second round of the tournament was cancelled due to weather conditions. The abundance of rain stood high enough that the course was unplayable.

Justin Churchill, business junior, said, “The course hosts a PGA tour event so it was pretty tough. The greens were even faster considering all of the rain it got.”

The fast paced greens added extra difficulty for Churchill but he still managed to lead the Builders as he shot 79-79=158 (+16.)

Following just two strokes behind Churchill was Shane Gilbert, business administration senior, who shot 78-82=160 (+18.)

Seth Bryan, business junior, had to withdraw from the first round due to a “very bad sinus infection.” Bryan returned to play the second round and carded the Builders best score as he shot a 74 on Tuesday.

Bryan said, “We need to practice as much as possible and learn how to coupe bed holed every now and again.”

Southwestern Men’s Results

51. Justin Churchill: 79-79=158

61. Shane Gilbert: 78-82=160

72. Jake Henson: 86-79=165

78. Brian Peck: 90-77=167

93. Steven Venn: 92-87=179

98. Seth Bryan: W-74=74

The Men will return to the course on March 16 when they compete on Eagle Bend Golf Course at the Ottawa Spring Invitational in Lawrence.

Garrett Chapman is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may email him at Garrett.Chapman@sckans.edu