Raul Orozco

Men’s golf team competed in the second KCAC tournament at the Buffalo Dunes Golf Course in Garden City.

The men placed sixth out of nine teams. Cooper Spears, sports management senior, finished with a shot of 125, tying him for 19th place.

Following up Spears was Khord Vining, business administration junior, with a score of 128 placing him in a tie for 29th place.

The tournament was originally scheduled to be a two-day tournament, but after harsh weather and snow alerts the tournament was played in one day.

Bill Stinson, head golf coach, said “The way they performed was not how we expected, but the conditions were horrendous.”

The team dealt with temperatures as low as 24 degrees and some wind chill. Spears said, “Apart from having to hit uncomfortable shots, my hands were also frozen.”

Multiple conditions affected the athletes including weather and the course itself. Stinson said that the greens were firm and fast, so it made it much more difficult to adjust to the wind.

“There were a lot of factors that the kids needed to take into consideration, and it made for a difficult day,” said Stinson.

The Builders had experienced a great showcase in their home tournament, which Stinson said he saw as their best game. He was hoping that they would be able to carry that into the KCAC tournament.

For Spears, it was had last tournament as a collegiate golf player. He said, “It was the hardest round of golf I’ve played in my entire college golf career, but I left the course happy with it.”

Spears said that positivity has been preached throughout the season by coaches and athletes alike.

“I enjoyed this experience and also being able to spend my final round with the team.”