By Kyle Killgore

Michael Morales, senior forward, gets a block in the first half of Southwestern’s overtime win against Bethany. Morales had eight points on the night. (Kyle Killgore/Collegian photographer)

Southwestern snaps a five-game losing streak with their overtime win tonight against Bethany College, 83-81. The Builder’s trailed most of the game against the Swedes before taking the lead late in the contest and forcing overtime.

Cameron Clark, freshman forward, had another double-double on the night, leading all scorers with 28 points and 13 rebounds. Tyler Shirley, junior guard, also had a double-double accumulating 15 points and 11 rebounds.

“Our back was against the wall tonight and we were desperate,” said Matt O’Brien, men’s basketball head coach.

15 seconds left in regulation, William Tisdale, sophomore guard, strips the ball on the inbounds play and puts up a layup to tie the game at 77 and sending the game to overtime.

With 14.9 seconds on the clock in overtime, O’Brien calls a timeout to draw up a play for the final shot. The initial shot doesn’t fall but Shirley gets the tip in to take the lead 83-81 with 0.4 seconds left on the clock.

“It’s great to finally get a win,” said Shirley, “It’s a great feeling right now.”

Trey Beachum, senior guard, for the Swedes caused many problems for the Builders s with his 26 points and 12 rebounds on the night.

“He’s quick, we did our best to stay in front of him and tried not to foul him,” said Michael Morales, senior forward.

The Builders will follow up this win with another home game against Tabor College, Thursday Feb. 7. The Blue Jays are 10-4 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference so far this year.

Kyle Killgore is a junior majoring in communications. You may email him at kyle.killgore@sckans.edu.