Bailey VenJohn

The men’s basketball team ended their regular season on a low note with a loss to St. Mary Saturday night. The Spires defeated the Builders 86-74.

This win sealed the deal for St. Mary as the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference regular season champions.

The Builders ended the season with a 16-14 record overall and a 7-12 record in conference play.

Looking back on the season Larry Vasquez, sophomore guard, said, “My favorite part of the season was when we took a trip to Branson to play College of the Ozarks before conference started. We were there for three days and two nights. We had a lot of fun in the town and I feel like that’s when our team really bonded the most.”

Cameron Clark, freshman forward, said, “Our biggest accomplishment is that we became closer as a family. We truly love each other and no matter the adversity we have faced this year we have stayed together and strong and blamed nobody but ourselves.”

Conference tournament kicks off with quarterfinals on Wednesday. The #6 seeded Builders will make the trip to the #3 seeded Sterling College Warriors on Wednesday at 7 p.m. The Warriors have won the last two match ups between these teams 83-74 and 76-59.

Alex Tyler, junior guard, said that in preparation to get the win in the first round, “We need to work hard in practice and be ready to play tough defense for 40 minutes and believe that we will win.”

Bailey VenJohn is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email her at bailey.venjohn@sckans.edu.