James Davis, senior guard powers the ball past Adam Hasty, freshman guard, of Ottawa University at the Steward Field House Saturday. The Builders face their fifth consecutive loss. (Jonathan Woon/Collegian photographer)

Coming to the court with four consecutive losses, the Builders wanted to recover from the obstacles in the season Thursday night. They hosted Ottawa Braves at Stewart Field House. The Builders arrived to the game with a record of 9-6 in the Kansas Athletic Collegiate Conference, while the Braves arrived with a 6-9 record. The Braves came and played their game and got out with the victory 67-65.

The Builders took the court with James Davis, senior guard, Tyler Shirley, sophomore guard, Ethan Randolph, senior forward, Chris Nelson, senior forward, and Jared Irvin, senior guard.

“We basically need to be working together,” said Davis. “Staying confident with each other.”

Nelson jumped for the jump ball and Ottawa won it. The first two points of the game were for the Braves. The game started with a Builder team playing swiftly and moving constantly from side to side, executing plays.

The Builders scored 40 points in the first half, and 25 in the second half. Clayton was the team’s top scorer with 26 points, followed by Randolph with nine points. The team made 29 field goals out of 60 attempted. They shot seven times from the three-point line making only two.

Randolph scored the first two-pointer for the Builders. When the clock marked 13:36 minutes the score was 10-9, the Braves on top. For the entire game, the Builders kept pressuring and scoring. They were up by 11 points with only 1:45 remaining in the first half. Going to the locker rooms up by 40-29, they were playing at their pace.

Morales said, “We played good in the first half, and then we just did turnovers in the second half. I would say we need to eliminate the turnovers.” Five minutes into the second half, the Braves kept pushing and never gave up. They tied the game 44-44 when the clock read 13:21. From there on, every time a team scored, the other team quickly came back and scored to tie it.

The last five minutes of the game were the most important. The teams were once again tied at 55-55. It looked that the Builders had the upper hand going up 63-62 in the last minute. During the last seconds, the Braves scored a three-pointer and one basket, while the Builders only scored one basket. This made the final score to be 67-65.

“We are in a kind of hole right now. We are trying to crawl out of it and get into the right track,” said Nelson.

The Builders now have five consecutive losses in the KCAC. Their last win was against Sterling on Jan. 26. They will host Bethany College on Feb. 16, during senior night. This will be the last home game for the Builders during regular season conference play.

Angel Vadillo is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at angel.vadillo@sckans.edu.