Bailey VenJohn

The men’s KCAC conference tournament could be referred to as upset city Friday night. The top 2 seeded teams, St. Mary and Tabor, both had their tournament championship dreams crushed.

Southwestern wasn’t able to join the trend and upset Sterling College. The Warriors prevailed 98-79.

The Builders ended this season with a winning record of 16-14.

Michael Morales and Isaiah Thaw ended their senior season on this loss.

Cameron Clark, freshman forward, referring to the seniors said their strongest qualities were “Leadership and no complaining, they supported their teammates in the good and the bad.”

The Builders were 28/62 from the field shooting 45%.  The team was 6/16 going 38% from downtown. From the charity stripe Southwestern shot 61% and 17/28.

Alex Tyler lead the team in scoring with 20 points. He was 6/11 from the field, 2/4 from three-point range, and 6/10 from the line. 3 other Builders made it in double figures, Michael Morales had 15, Cameron Clark 13, and Taylor Johnson added 10.

Cameron Clark led with rebounds posting 6 and William Tisdale and Michael Morales each added 4.

Now that this season has ended the team must move on in preparation for next year.

Alex Tyler, junior guard said “We will take a little time off to get healthy again and then we will hit the weight room hard and start basketball workouts. We are a young team and we know we have a lot of room for improvement.”

The team now has the future to look forward to. Only graduating two seniors, the team will remain at a very similar roster in the next few years.

Taylor Johnson, freshman guard, said “I expect us to make a run at the tournament the next few years. We learned a lot this year about what it takes to win at the college level and that will help us in the future. “

Johnson said that throughout this season he “learned to play every game like it’s my last because my college career will go by fast and I don’t want to look back and have any regrets.”

Sterling advances on to the semi-finals and will host Ottawa Saturday night at 5.

Bailey VenJohn is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email her at bailey.venjohn@sckans.edu.