James Davis, senior guard, passes the ball to Koury Clayton, junior forward, as Bethel players stand in the way and try to fail the pass. (Jonathan Woon/Collegian photographer)

“It is positive to get a win, but I would like to see us improve in the next couple weeks,” said Matt O’Brien, head men’s basketball coach. “It is exciting to be nationally recognized, but it is also a target to get the opponent’s best targets in the night.”

R.J. Jarrett, senior guard, Chris Nelson, senior forward, Ethan Randolph, senior forward, James Davis, senior guard, and Jared Irvin, senior guard, were the five men who started for the Builders.

The Threshers came out very strong, willing to battle and get out of Stewart Field House with a victory. During the first five minutes, the Builders were down 13-4. Five minutes later, the score had a six-point difference.

When the clock marked 5:38, Nelson dunked the ball to put the Builders up 36-32 and the crowd went crazy. The first half finished 38-35 in favor of the Builders.
William Tisdale, freshman guard, said, “We are doing great in conference, last year we had a rough year and it feels good to overcome even though it is not over.”

Nelson was the night’s top scorer with 18 points, followed by Davis and Koury Clayton, junior forward, who both had 15 points. The Builders continue strong in the conference improving to 8-1 and 18-2 overall.

“We are trying to get conference championship and then go on from there,” said Tyler Shirley, sophomore guard.

The Builders will continue their schedule when they hit the road to face Tabor College Jan. 21.

Angel Vadillo is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at angel.vadillo@sckans.edu.