Koury Clayton, junior forward, goes for the slam dunk during the Tara Patternson Memorial Classic game against Dallas Christian University. The Builders made their fans proud as they trashed Dallas Christian 72-56 on home court Saturday(Jonathan Woon/Collegian photographer).

By Jonathan Woon

The men’s basketball team left fans in rapture as they KO’ed Dallas Christian College 72-56 during the Tara Patterson Memorial Classic at Steward Field House Saturday.

After tip-off, Southwestern played a dominating rapid-paced game leaving no space for their opponents to take advantage. Each of the opponents score was replied with a solid basket by the Builders.

The team hit the locker at half time with a pressure-free 21 points lead. Despite that, Matt O’Brien, head basketball coach, thought his players could have easily lost their focus. “I wanted our team to continue to stay focus throughout the entire game,” said O’Brien.

O’Brien’s worries were laid to rest at second half as his players came in with full dynamism locking down the lead. “We came out with a lot of energy and ready to play,” said O’Brien.

As the game came to a close, the Builders kept their head in the game and outrivaled their opponents especially from downtown area.

As the buzzer went off, there was no doubt the Builders deserved victory.

William Tisdale, point guard, believes chemistry was the basis to victory. “We really found our chemistry on the court but we could certainly do better,” said Tisdale.

O’Brien praised Chris Nelson, point guard, for locking down the opponent’s best player. “Chris Nelson did a great job on their best player, making it difficult for them to get good shots,” said O’Brien.

Ethan Randolph, senior forward, and R.J. Jarrett, senior guard, both scored 13 points each to become the top scorers for the Builders.

The double digit victory ascends Southwestern to the top in the standings with four wins in a row this season.

Southwestern will look forward for their fifth winning streak of the season when they face Haskell Indian Nations University Nov. 7 at 7 p.m..

Jonathan Woon is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at jonathan.woon@sckans.edu.