R.J. Jarrett, senior guard, battles a defender for a rebound during Saturday’s game against Friends University. The Builders grabbed the win 82-67 moving them to 3-1 in the KCAC. (Erica Dunigan/Collegian Photographer)

As the Builders traveled to Friends University Saturday evening, there was a new found confidence that traveled with them. The Builders showed they are a team working as a team, with every player on and off the bench being competitive and performing to the last buzzer.

Coming off a hard fought win against the No. 25 ranked University of Saint Mary on Thursday, the Builders capitalized and captured a win against the Falcons 82-67. Saturday’s win improved the Builder’s record to 11-3 overall and 3-1 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference.

“The win feels great,” said Matt O’Brien, head men’s basketball coach. “It’s nice to perform well on the road.”

Right as the ball was thrown up for tip-off the Builders came out on fire, quickly setting the pace and keeping it throughout the first half. They entered the locker room at halftime leading 35-29.

The flame never died down, as the Builders came out with the same energy outrebounding the falcons 43 to 26 to help mark up the win.

“We stayed with coach’s plan,” said Chris Nelson, senior forward. “The team kept them off the line, playing our pack defense.”

Nelson showed leadership  and heart throughout the night, scoring 18 points and being a leader both defensively and offensively.  He would hold Falcons top scorer, Reggie Britton, to 13 points.

“Chris Nelson played really well tonight, he lead the defense,” said O’Brien. “Nelson is one of the best defense players of the league.”

The highlight of the game came off the bench. Koury Clayton, junior forward, lead the team with 22 points, 11 of 14 from the field. Not only did Clayton lead the team in points, but also in rebounds, grabbing 8 from the board.

“Koury is growing as a player, both defensively and offensively,” said Nelson. “He is going to be great player.”

Along with Nelson and Clayton, Ethan Randolph, senior forward, put up 17 points and six rebounds to help Builders.

The Builder’s next game tips off Dec. 17 at Newman University.

Erica Dunigan is a senior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at erica.dunigan@sckans.edu