David King, senior center, hit a free throw shot with two seconds remaining in regulation to ice a 42-41 victory for the Builders over the top-ranked Tabor Blue Jays. Tabor was the leading team in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference coming into their home game against Southwestern.

The win bumps the Builders to .500 in conference play with an 8-8 record. With the loss, Tabor falls from first to second behind Sterling College in the KCAC standings.

The Builders came out in the second half down 22-20 and found themselves down again 41-37 late in the game. They scored the final five points of the game to win their second straight.

Both teams struggled offensively throughout the game. Not a single player who took more than three shots for either team shot above 50 percent. Southwestern hit 31.9 percent of their shots, while Tabor went 32 percent from the field.

Both teams couldn’t connect from beyond the arch or the free throw line. The Builders went 2-10 from three point range and 50 percent from the foul line. The Blue Jays hit 2-15 from the three point line and 43.8 percent from the charity strike.

Chris Nelson, junior guard, and Ethan Randolph, junior forward, both had big nights, scoring 14 points and grabbing 10 rebounds each.

The Builder’s next game tips off at 8 p.m. Feb. 17 at Bethany College in Lindsborg.

Clinton Dick is a sophomore majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.