After a 72-67 loss to the University of Saint Mary Saturday in Stewart Field House, the men slid to seventh place in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference standings. Their final regular season record is 16-11 overall and 8-10 in the conference.

The Builders struggled on both sides of the ball in the first half, allowing the Spires to go into the locker rooms at halftime with a comfortable 33-19 lead.

The men would make it an interesting game late in the second half. Three baskets from beyond the arch within three minutes of each other cut Saint Mary’s lead to five with 7:10 remaining. The Spires did not relinquish their lead and held on to win a game in which they never trailed.

The Builders outshot and outrebounded the Spires, but struggled with 23 fouls and 10 turnovers. They shot 49.1 percent from the field compared to Saint Mary’s 44.2 percent and snagged 35 boards.

Ethan Randolph, junior forward, continued his scoring success by leading the Builders with 17 points.

Stuart Ballard, senior forward, had 14 points on 19 minutes of playing time. Ballard hit three of his four shots from the three-point line.

James Davis, junior guard, led the team with seven rebounds.

The Builders play their next game at 7 p.m. Feb. 23 in McPherson against the Bulldogs for the quarterfinal round of the KCAC Conference Tournament.

Clinton Dick is a sophomore majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.