Three players having 21 points apiece wasn’t enough to keep the men’s basketball team’s three-game winning streak alive Saturday evening.

Despite being led with a combined 63 points from Jason McCormack, senior guard, James Davis, freshman guard, and Tim Miser, senior guard, the men lost by a frustrating two points when they fell 90-88 to the University of St. Mary Spires in Leavenworth. The Builders, who came into the game third in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic conference, dropped to 10-10 on the season, 6-4 in conference play.

The Spires jumped out to a quick 15-6 lead in the early minutes of the game.  The Builders scored a run of their own as they took a 23-22 lead with nine minutes remaining in the first half off of a three point basket by McCormack. St. Mary would regain the lead and the momentum as an 8-0 run put them back up 30-23. Davis hit a three point shot as time expired in the first half to narrow the Spire lead to 43-37.

The Builders struggled to keep up with St. Mary in the second half as they found themselves down by as many as 15 midway through the half.  The men would battle back with 3:53 left in regulation to make the score 80-76 in favor of the Spires.  “We had great poise in the final 10 minutes of the game,” said Matt O’ Brien, head basketball coach.  “We controlled what we could control.” That would be as close as the Builders would get, though, as missed opportunities and missed free throws sealed their fate.  Despite a long shot made by Davis as time expired, the Builders fell 90-88.

“I am frustrated that we lost but I am proud of my team that they kept fighting,” said O’ Brien. “I was really proud of their effort.”

The Builders shot 44.8 percent from the field and had 12 steals on the night. The Spires, though, outrebounded the Builders 47-37.

Their next game takes place at 8 p.m. on Jan. 28 at Stewart Field House against the Friends University Falcons.

Clint Dick is a freshman majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.