By Avree Sheppard

The Builder cross country team had a victorious weekend at Ottawa University. The men’s team took first in the Kansas Christian Athletic Conference Championship this Saturday. The women fell short of a victory by just two points.

Jim Helmer, head cross country coach, said “The guys ran well. Despite a few runners feeling under the weather, it was a great team effort.” Helmer said, “We got in there and took care of business.” The men’s cross country team qualified for nationals.

The women’s cross country team came in second in the conference championships, by falling short just two points to Friends University.

Sydnee Nelson, biochemistry senior, is the only runner from the women’s team who qualified for nationals. “It is a little bittersweet,” said Nelson. “It feels great to qualify, but I want to take my team with me.” Nelson’s personal goals for nationals are to finish and always be as good as she can be. “Overall as a team, we did really well,” said Nelson.

Conner Drendel, special education grad student, shared some insight on his experience during the championship meet. Drendel said. “We have been focused all season on each member coming through for the team. It may not have been a pretty win, but each teammate made certain to come through for the win regardless. This was the next step in getting closer to our goal at nationals.”

For nationals, the men’s cross country team plans on going with the same mindset of giving themselves an opportunity to be a top 10 team in the nation. They are prepared to refocus and just look ahead to the national meet.

Frank Adelman ran an incredible race to be the KCAC champion. He helped lead a total of six All-KCAC runners to the championship (1-Frank Adelman; 5-Colton McNinch; 10-Conner Drendel; 11-Sam McDaniel; 12-Eric Lightfoot; and 15-Trey Bruton).

Avree Sheppard is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may email her at avree.sheppard@sckans.edu .