By Raul Orozco

ABOVE: Roger Klenke, sports management senior, inspects the green. He shot a total of 180 points. (Taylor Rodriguez/Staff photographer)

The Builder golf teams competed in their home tournament March 29 and 30 at the Quail Ridge Golf Course.

The men finished as champions of the tournament with Jefferson Cook, business administration junior, winning the tournament as an individual, with a score of 157 and Cooper Spears, sports management senior, following closely behind tying for second with a score of 159.

The women could not post a finishing team score due to insufficient number of players. Their top finisher was Lauren Sieh, communication senior, tying for third place with a score of 175.

“We played in very strained conditions, almost to the point of having to stop playing,” Bill Stinson, head men’s and women’s golf coach said.

The men’s side had five in the top ten with Khord Vining, business administration junior, and Aaron Delgado, biology freshman, tying for fourth and Jackson Strohl, sports management freshman, finishing tenth.

Peyton Timmerman, education senior, topped the leaderboard during the first round of play with a score of 89, but due to her duties as the assistant coach for Lady Builder softball, wasn’t able to participate in the second round. The second-highest finishing Builder was Jordyn Lane, elementary education freshman, placing 13th with a score of 183.

“We definitely missed Peyton and I was kind of sad when she wasn’t going to play,” Lane said.

The team had been preaching positivity as Stinson had previously said, and to Lane it was important not only for the team to stay positive but also be able to adapt to tough conditions.

“All the teams struggled with it and I think we performed our best for the conditions given,” Stinson said.

The golf teams will be traveling to Lincoln Park in Oklahoma City for the U.C. Ferguson Classic and the Susie Maxwell Berning Classic on April 12 and 13.