By Bailey VenJohn

Men’s golf kicked off their season in Victoria, Texas at the Clause Jacobs Invitational this past weekend. Overall the team finished 13th with a score of 961.

Shane Gilbert, senior, led the team with scores of 78, 73, and 77 finishing with a total of 228 and seizing 25th place overall. Seth Bryan, sophomore, trailed Gilbert by nine strokes with rounds of 75, 83, 79.

Kyle Karpe, sophomore, came in third for the Builders with a total score of 243. Justin Churchill, sophomore, followed Karpe and totaled up 253 while Luke Arneson,senior, rounded out the team with a 265.

The team takes a little break with their next tournament being the Swedes Invitational hosted by Bethany on March 3.

On the women’s side of things, Southwestern finished 7th at the Claude Jacobs Invitational.

Hannah Mason, junior, led the Lady Builders and finished 8th overall. She ended with a score of 149 after rounds of 75 and 74. Alyssa Richardson came in next with an 83 and 81 totaling 164.

Third and Fourth for Southwestern was Jackie McCauley, senior, with a 172 and Jaly McCauley, with a 174.

Closing it for the team was Brenna Truhe, sophomore, who ended with 208.

The women take an even bigger break and return to action March 17. The tournament will be held at the LPGA International Golf Course in Daytona Beach, Florida.

Bailey VenJohn is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may email her at bailey.venjohn@sckans.edu.