By Alejandra Rojas

I have given myself enough time to adjust. Adjust to a new school, new town, new friends and sharing a room with. It wasn’t easy for me. But then again, no one said it would be.

I’m a transfer student. I had been to college before coming here, but hadn’t experienced the college life. I lived at home with my parents, so they pretty much controlled my responsibilities. Living at home gave me a sense of security. It made me feel as if home sweet home would always be there.

The first week here I dealt with things that I felt would tear me down.

Meeting my roommates, who had been here for at least two years, made me feel unprepared. They knew how much clothing to bring, the amount of food needed to survive in the dorms and how to move around campus. As it turned out, I couldn’t get my books on time. The thought of that made me panic because I would also be unprepared for school. At the same time that I couldn’t get my books, I couldn’t get my laptop or my student ID. This meant that I didn’t have access to blackboard, and just what was blackboard? I couldn’t go to the cafeteria to eat so I mainly ate the little bit I had brought back from home.

I had my moments of breakdowns along with my occasional moments of “I’m done. This is hard.” When my parents called me, which was almost every night, I would lie. What could I tell them? That I was a coward and that I couldn’t handle being an adult in these situations? That I didn’t know how to cope? I didn’t know who to go to?

School didn’t help. Everything seemed so much harder combined with my soccer schedule, which demanded my full attention and effort. I found it difficult to alter my life, this “new” life.

Coming here is a first of many experiences for me. This is the first time I am away from home. The first time that I have had to share a room. The first time that I play on a team in which I don’t know any of my teammates initially. And lastly, the first time I am away to school without the comfort of being home.

Being a transfer made me realize that you are either considered a newbie or a student who should be aware of what’s going on. The transition was difficult. The things that I thought I knew went out the window. All of the sudden I didn’t know what to expect. I was thrown back into the finding-friends stage as a junior.

After trying to figure out why I was here, my motives for getting an education didn’t seem to matter. At one point I was perfectly okay with my associate’s degree. I could go back home and get a good job and be with my parents again.

And that’s when it hit me: my parents and the pride that they had for the accomplishments I had worked so hard for. The reason why they had invested so much for me to succeed was because they believed in me. So why was I finding it difficult for me to believe in myself? I knew I had the ability to adjust. I knew I was a good enough student, and a decent soccer player. For those reasons I could adjust, or be eaten alive.

Every day that passed made me realize that if I put in enough effort and became more organized in school and soccer, life would be at ease. I also had to realize that if I was to ever get help, I had to ask. If I was unclear of anything I need to say so. So I did I asked all of the questions I could.

As soon as I got my books, I hit them hard. I knew I was behind, but I didn’t tell myself that. Believing in myself became more easy. Finally, I was adjusting. There was nothing that could put me down.

We are fortunate to have a great staff and faculty. Don’t ever think you are alone. When all else fails, just ask questions. No one can blame you for trying that way.

If no one else believes in you, in the potential that you have, then it’s not the end of world. There are tons of people who survive. Move on and be great, influential characters.

Alejandra Rojas is a junior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at alejandra.rojas@sckans.edu.