By Hanna House

Being able to call yourself a Builder is an honor in itself, some select alumni are able to call themselves a Masterbuilder.

Every year six seniors who have demonstrated what it means to be a Builder during their time at Southwestern receives a plaque and the title of Masterbuilder.

“It is an award that goes out to the student that most shows the Southwestern spirit,” said Sarah Hallinan, director of residence life. “This is the student who shows the values and the mission of the college.”

This award was created in the mid-1930s and has been awarded every year since. There is a process to being chosen as one of the Masterbuilders but essentially they are chosen by their fellow students.

“Masterbuilder first goes through the SGA Senate and they vote from a list of all the seniors, then all of those names are sent to the faculty and the faculty votes from there. Then the final list is voted on by students,” said Maggie Collett, 2014 Masterbuilder winner.

There are no formal requirements to be nominated for the award, they are just people the campus has seen as leaders. Dan Falk, dean of students, and Anjaih Clemons, director of campus life, gather the final votes and make plaques for the winners but keep it a surprise from everyone else until just before graduation.

“It is a surprise at Honors Convocation which is the Saturday before graduation,” said Falk.

During the ceremony, Falk will announce the winners and present them with a plaque.

To find a schedule of events for this graduation weakened, go to http://www.sckans.edu/student-services/commencement/.

Hanna House is a sophomore majoring in communication. You can email her at hanna.house@sckans.edu.