Jasmine Manuel, senior forward, takes a shot over Bethel defenders during second half action of the Lady Builder's 69-68 win Saturday at Stewart Field House. Manuel hit the game-winning shot with less than seven seconds remaining in the game. Clinton Dick/Collegian photographer.

Jasmine Manuel, senior forward, was the Lady Builder’s hero Saturday night as she hit a shot with less than seven seconds remaining in regulation to give Southwestern their second consecutive win 69-68 over the Bethel Threshers. With just under 20 seconds left in the game, the Builders had possession of the ball, down 68-67. Manuel took a shot on that possession, but missed. Zefiryn Bryan, fresham forward, snatching the offensive rebound and passed it off to Manuel, who sunk her second shot. Bethel launched a desperation shot as the buzzer sounded, but it was too little too late as SC improved to 8-4 on the season and 2-2 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference. Bethel fell to 8-4 overall and 2-2 in the KCAC.

The Builders went into the locker rooms at halftime with a 37-30 lead. Bethel stuck around and midway through the second half SC held tight to a 47-43 lead.

It wasn’t until the final minutes of the game that the Threshers caught up with the Builders.

Southwestern was outshot by Bethel as the Threshers hit 37.5 percent of their shots compared to the Builders 31.4 percent. SC took 14 more shots than the Threshers.

Bryan and Jordyn Cossman, junior guard, led the team in scoring with 14 points each.

Tylar Hartfield, junior forward, broke her streak of three consecutive games with a double-double, but still snatched 12 rebounds to lead the women. Ellen Blattner, junior forward, followed with 11 rebounds.

The Lady Builder’s next game takes place at 5:30 p.m. Dec. 17 against Newman University in Newman.

Clinton Dick is a sophomore majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.