Workers for the trail workday on April 16 were fairly warned in Friday’s Jinx Tale, which told them to bring gloves, eye protection, and sturdy clothes because they were going to get dirty.

“We cut branches. We picked up trash. We created more paths for the bike trail by cutting branches and using a machine that packed down the dirt and made a trail,” said Kyle Just, physical education junior. “Some prepared the chapel area by moving rocks and just making it look nice.”

Just is part of MANistry, which won SGA’s $1,000 campus improvement grant. “There was a need for an outdoor chapel and meditation place. We saw those as a source of outdoor recreation potential,” said Lucas McConnell, philosophy & religious studies junior.

McConnell was part of the group that put together the meditation area. The area is cleared of brush and contains a large rock and cedar logs serving as makeshift table and chairs. “To finish, we cut down one of the cedars and fashioned it into a cross. We displayed it in the back of the chapel area,” he said.

David Bates, psychology sophomore, is not a member of MANistry, but showed up as a volunteer. “I support all the people in MANistry and it sounded like a fun event,” he said.

The work day was a success, according to Just. “I’d say there were just the right amount of people. Each group had around three people, and we knocked it out,” he said.

The recreation area will likely accommodate more people than usual, thanks to MANistry’s work. Just, McConnell, and Bates all have plans to use the area. “I like to go biking, and now instead of just going around Winfield, I have an adventurous route to take. And I would like to, at some point, use the chapel area with my covenant group,” said Bates.

All three agreed that the one thing they hope for in the future is maintenance of the area. “I’d like to see the trails maintained and the continued use of the chapel so that it may continue to be beneficial and not go to waste,” said McConnell.

Work day was a success, so the only thing left to do is wait and see if the students use it. “I think it helps our campus diversify our recreation options, and our ability to cater to the students who need to think, reflect, and be outdoors,” said McConnell.

Erin Morris is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at erin.morris@sckans.edu.