By Joshua Hall
Guest writer

The title implies absolute boredom, but intensity and suspense is the truth. Starring Sam Worthington (Avatar, Clash of the Titans) and Elizabeth Banks (The 40-Year Old Virgin, Zack and Miri Make a Porno), Man on a Ledge takes place on the very edge of a Manhattan hotel where former cop Nick Cassidy (Worthington) threatens to leap to the pavement. This not only attracts the attention of the public, but the news and police as well. Cassidy then makes specific demands for police psychologist Lydia Mercer (Banks) to talk him down. It is at this point that the mysteries begin to unravel.

These said mysteries are what give this film its spark. The plot line has a surprising amount of twists and turns, and what comes to even more of a surprise is the fluidity, coherence, and relevance in which each twist takes place. Every scene has a purpose and is necessary to fulfill the film.

The acting on the other hand, was simply ok. Majority of the acting was extremely believable, considering each character is developed well throughout the plot, and every relevant character serves a purpose to the film, but the movie has its moments where one really has to ask, “Would things have really gone down like that?” This typically only happens because of a couple of fan pleasing situations in the film, and the monotonous, yet unavoidable American Action Hero moments. Aside from this one flaw, the acting is not too bad.

With regards to the soundtrack, it isn’t anything to get excited about. In fact, most of it was quite the unmemorable. All of the music to the film does a great job at setting the mood and feel of the scenes, but it isn’t necessarily something one would buy to blast from the speakers at home (unless you’re into intensifying your day with a suspenseful film soundtrack). It’s great for the film, but generally uninteresting for everyday life.

Man on a Ledge is still available to watch in select theatres, and is expected to be on DVD and Blu-Ray for purchase and rental by May 29

Joshua Hall is a junior majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at joshua.hall@sckans.edu

[fblike style=”standard” showfaces=”false” width=”450″ verb=”like” font=”arial”]