By Michelle Dreiling

Nachos, cookies, hot dogs and faculty: what do they have in common? They will all be present at each Major Madness tailgate. These events are organized by the tailgate task force, a group of staff and faculty whose primary goal is to bring people together for food, fun and community.

“The tailgate is an attempt to get faculty and students together in a non-classroom environment so that they can have conversations in a relaxed atmosphere,” said Tracy Frederick, associate professor of communication.

“This is a way to get undecided students connected with faculty,” said Dan Falk, dean of students. Students will be able to come out to the tailgate, ask questions and learn more about majors offered.

The main goal is to create a sense of community on campus, and to help students and professors really get to know each other. “Builder Fest was a lot of fun. The food was good, and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves,” said Sara Maxwell, physical education and psychology junior.

This is the second year for Major Madness tailgates, although there are more planned for this year than last. “It takes a while to get this going,” said Frederick. Last year’s tailgate boasted 400 hot dogs, with none left at the end of the afternoon. There will be tables set up, all kinds of food and snacks, and music. Hot dogs, chips, cookies and drinks will be provided by Sodexho, and students may use their meal plan or pay with cash. Faculty have been encouraged to bring food as well.

Tailgates will take place before all home football games except homecoming. The next home game will be against St. Mary Sept 26. The tailgate will begin at 5:00.

Michelle Dreiling is a senior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at michelle.dreiling@sckans.edu.