By Jonathan Lane

“Magic: The Gathering” is the world’s most complex game, and with over 20,000 unique cards, this trading card game has value to any who might want to try a new experience.

“Magic: The Gathering” started in 1993 and has since paved the way for the market of trading card games. Currently owned and operated by Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, “Magic” is played worldwide with cards printed in 11 different languages.

Though complex, the basics of the game are relatively simple to learn. The game requires a minimum of two players, each with their own deck of at least 60 cards and 20 life. To start the game, each player draws seven cards, determines who goes first, and begins play. The first player doesn’t draw on their first turn but the second does. Each player draws one card at the beginning of their subsequent turns.

Magic uses a card type called, “land” which produces a “mana”. Mana is the currency that allows players to cast creatures and spells.

In the top right of each card is a “mana cost” depicted by a number and a colored symbol. The number can be paid with any color of mana but the symbol must be paid with specific colors of mana. Once a player has accumulated enough mana, they may cast that creature.

Creatures have a power and a toughness listed as follows. X/Y, where X is the creature’s power and Y is the creature’s toughness. The power of a creature determines how much damage it can deal while the toughness determines its toughness. So, for example, a 1/1 creature will deal 1 damage at a time and can only take 1 damage before it dies. Some creatures have effects that make them unique and can alter the game’s outcome if used correctly. Creatures can block for players as well to protect their life total. 

The first player whose life total hits 0 loses. Alternatively, if a player cannot draw a card because their deck is out of cards, they lose as well.

Knowing these basic rules, players could play very basic and simple games with friends. However, there are many more rules to the game which complicate it further, but this basic description of the rules allows for simple, yet fun, gameplay.   

With over 20,000 cards and numerous different formats, Magic has seemingly endless possible deck combinations allowing its players to build any style of deck they want with different combinations of unique cards.

To shop locally for “Magic: The Gathering” products, Main Street Games, 705 Main Street, holds a wide variety of cards and hosts multiple events for players to participate in.