By Dalton Carver

Music is a huge part of today’s culture, with both younger and older generations. However, we would never have the music that gets us through our daily grind without the dedication and creativity from the people who make it.
James Conner, instrumental performance and composition freshman, and Jordan Rebman, philosophy and religious studies freshman, are two of those people who bring the music to the masses.
“I was exposed to music very early in my life,” said Conner. “My mother was a piano teacher, so it just developed into a passion.”
Rebman’s origins into music came just as organically. “I was just singing in the car one day and a friend said I had a good voice,” said Rebman. “I wrote a song and I got positive feedback from people, so I just continued doing it.”
Although they had different inspirations, it led the two musicians to similar paths pursued at the same college. “My main inspiration is definitely John Mayer,” said Conner. “I just love his vibe, his musical taste and the message he conveys to his audience.”
“I’d have to say that my biggest influence is my good friend Jon,” said Rebman. “The way he writes is so inspiring and I’d say he’s a bigger influence than the big musical acts out there.”
As with any performing situation, playing live music comes with a heavy dose of nerves. As for these local musicians, it seems that these cases can be cured the more times you set foot on the stage. “The nerves seemed to fade with experience,” said Conner. “I’ve performed over hundreds of times, so I don’t feel too much of it anymore.”
For Rebman, performing runs in the family. “My father was a theater major,” said Rebman. “As soon as I start playing, any nerves I have just go away.”
It’s no secret that getting into the music industry is a high hurdle to leap. However, both artists are determined to at least attempt the jump. “I’m definitely considering making it my career,” said Conner. “My main focus is to sign with a record label and start touring nationally.”
“I’d like to make music a career, but it’s a very difficult thing to get into,” said Rebman. “I’m really big on following your dreams, but I’m not banking on being a musician all my life.”
Both musicians have albums available for purchase. “This album was really experimental for me,” said Conner. “It was just my first attack at being an artist.”
Conner’s album, Journeys, is currently available for digital download on iTunes, Napster and Rhapsody. You can also purchase hard copies from Conner himself. His next album is due to be released early next year, if not this year.
Rebman’s first album will be available Nov. 1, also on iTunes, Napster and Rhapsody. However, hard copies can be purchased now from Rebman or ordered online through the Tate Music Group.
Dalton Carver is a freshman majoring in communication. You can e-mail him at dalton.carver@sckans.edu.