Tyler Combs, biochemistry junior, displays the eHarmony home page on his computer in Mossman Hall. Combs found his fiancée, Colleen Laramay, on the dating website after taking a chance and making a $250 investment towards his love life. While they were dating Combs and Laramay made monthly plane rides to see each other. (Jonathan Woon/Collegian photographer)

By Kyle Killgore

According to eHarmony, nearly five percent of all newlyweds in America met on eHarmony. Tyler Combs, biochemistry junior, will add his name to the list of success stories for the site.

Combs met his fiancée Jan. 19, 2010, when Colleen Laramay contacted him through eHarmony.

“It’s funny to say it, but yes,” Combs said, when asked if it was love at first sight. “When I fell for her, I might as well have nose-dived off the Empire State Building, I was crazy about her.”

Laramay, Combs fiancée made the first move, she initiate communication on the site, and then she flew into Wichita to meet him. “I was lucky,” Combs said, “Not many women are brave enough to fly across the country and meet a guy they’ve only known over the internet for three months.”

Between the two, the couple managed to get a plane ticket every month for a year. “It was worth every dollar, but neither of us ever wants to fly that often again.  Now she’s a Kansan so I see her every day,” Combs said.

Combs was skeptical at first about using the site. “There’s always that uncertainty that goes along with online shopping,” said Combs, aside from the fact that it was a big commitment financially to sign up for eHarmony. “It was something like $250 for a year, but it’s $60 for one month, so they push you into a big investment up front,” said Combs, “It was a spontaneous decision with a credit card in hand. I’m not sure I would have forked over $250 cash at the time, but knowing what I know now, I’d do it again in a heartbeat.”

“We’re best friends, and even best friends fight sometimes, but I love her just the way she is,” said Combs

Kyle Killgore is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at kyle.killgore@sckans.edu