By Ozzie Briesch

The Southwestern men’s soccer team dropped their seventh straight match yesterday in their away game at Lindsborg, with a score of 4-1 against the Bethany Swedes, who now lead the conference with an undefeated 4-0 record in the conference season.

The Moundbuilders took an early deficit in the 31st minute after a 16 yard blast from Swede Lucas Procopio, senior forward, that slammed the crossbar and landed at the feet of fellow teammate Luis Fernando Pinto, junior forward who put an easy 10 yard shot into the net after Cullen Grantham, junior goalkeeper could not recover in time from the original attempted save.

The unlucky bounce was all it took to shake the Builders off their game, with three more goals being scored by the Swedes in the second half.

Caleb Partin, sophomore defender said, “After their lucky bounce, we all got caught watching the ball which lead to the goal. After that we all got really good at blaming each other for the rest of the game.”

In the second half, the Swedes took advantage of their boosted moral, netting a quick goal in the 12th minute with a shot across the goal by Christopher Telemoque, senior midfielder, passing just under Grantham’s arm and into the side net.

It only took the Swedes ten more minutes to light up the scoreboard once again with Procopio making a wonder strike into the bottom left corner past the drawn out Grantham.

Ian Mutio, senior forward, gave the Moundbuilders a glimmer of hope in the 87th minute after a cross from Dalton Carver, senior midfielder dropped at Mutio’s feet for an easy tap-in past the already beaten goalkeeper.

The Swedes put the final nail in the builders coffin in a last ditch effort goal scored with 2.2 seconds remaining in the game, crushing whatever spirit remained of the builders.

Jess De La Cruz, junior midfielder said, “our second half was completely lazy, we expected the guy next to us to do our work for us, which lead to nobody doing anything. And the goal at the very end was just humiliating, I am pretty sure everyone just wanted to go home at that point.”

“We need to work on our attitude as a team, and not let mistakes destroy us from the inside. Each player works hard to earn their spot on the field, we have to get better control of our emotions,” said Chris Allen, Assistant coach.

The Moundbuilders record now stands at 3-9 for the regular season and 0-4 for this KCAC conference season. With this loss the men’s soccer team looks ahead to the next conference game against the Bethel College Threshers in North Newton Kansas. Kickoff is scheduled for 3:30 pm at Thresher Stadium.

Ozzie Briesch is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may contact him at Austin.briesch@sckans.edu.