Diane Cable scans an item while working in the Moundbuilder Market. Cable has been working for the college for the last 15 years. (Erica Dunigan/Collegian photographer)

By Katie Vorderstrasse

She has a smile that brightens everyone’s day. Diane Cable, retail associate, has worked on campus for the past 15 years. Her latest job is in the Moundbuilder Market which is located across from Pounds Lounge. Cable said, “I enjoy the students and staff and most of all, being helpful.”

Cable started working on this campus as a night cook. She was then promoted to manager of Java Jinx for 10 years. She then worked the salad bar and sandwich area for two years. After that Cable was the cashier in the cafeteria for one and a half years.

Two years ago the idea of having a Moundbuilder Market was brought up. Originally the space was a book and mail room. She has been working in the Market for one year and two months.

As the store continues to grow, it’s important that Sodexo choose reliable staff. “Diane is a very hard worker that is very friendly to all customers,” said Jason VenJohn. VenJohn is the manager of the clothing side in the market.

The top selling items are t-shirts and when cold, hoodies. Cable makes sure the shelves are stocked clothes are neat and sells the items. Cable said, “I try and make the students feel at home.”

Cable impacts the everyday student. “Every time I visit she is so happy and simply makes my day,” said Hannah Schrag, biology freshman. On average Cable helps 100 students per day.

She normally works Monday through Friday 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. You will occasionally see her upstairs working in the cafeteria. During the summer she gets a break as the Market is not open.

When Cable is not working she enjoys spending time with her family and cooking. Cable said, “My husband Frank and I have four kids and two step-children.”

Her favorite type of food to cook is Mexican food. Cable said, “Cooking is relaxing to me. I enjoy making tacos, enchiladas, salsa and so on.” She also enjoys watching Modern Family and American Idol.

Although this isn’t the highest paying job, it is self-rewarding. Cable has no plans of leaving anytime soon. Cable said, “I don’t think I would change anything about this campus because there have been so many changes since I started.”

The Moundbuilder Market is open Monday through Thursday 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. until 10 p.m. Friday 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday from 2p.m. until 6 p.m.

Katie Vorderstrasse is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at katie.vorderstrasse@sckans.edu.