By Cristelle Tejes

Isle of Lights is open Nov. 20 until Dec. 30 and is accessible from 6-10 p.m. In 1993 Isle of Lights, a Christmas light display, was created to give families something to do during the holidays that does not cost anything. “Isle of lights has been around for 18 or 19 years. It was started by a small group of people that wanted to promote the city for Christmas,” said Pam Olney.

Isle of lights started in Memorial Park until it outgrew its location and had to be moved to Island Park. Olney said, “I have helped set up for the past ten years as a volunteer, and was asked to become a member of the Board of Directors this past year.”

Donna Homan has been the president of the Board of directors since the beginning. “I am in charge of making sure that all the jobs get assigned and covered during the putting up and tearing down of the lights,” said Homan.

This year they are doing something different. Southwestern’s Green Team is helping Isle of Lights with assembling new strands of lights with new energy-saving LED bulbs. “A lot of energy and money could be saved by replacing all those lights with ones that use less electricity,” said Sarah Rommelfanger, biology junior.

This year, there is a new display of trees, big and small, arches, and small toys. This display is going to have fun movement along with lively, Christmas music. The movement and music will be in sync.

Isle of lights means something different to everybody that experiences it. Everyone has a different favorite display. Homan said hers was the Snow Flake Arch because she sets it up every year and it is really pretty. There have been many cases of proposals. It is said to be really romantic.

Isle of lights gets new displays each year bought with the generous donations from people who come to see the lights, private and business donations, and grants from Winfield Convention and Tourism. Everyone that helps set up, tear down, and work Isle of Lights are now and always will be volunteers.  Anyone can help out, just notify the city or listen for public announcements about ten days or so before Thanksgiving.

Cristelle Tejes is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at cristelle.tejes@sckans.edu.