Bill DeArmond reads a selection from his new collection of short stories, “Mortal Silences, Graveyard Talk”.  Photo by Korie Hawkins, Collegian Photographer

Bill DeArmond reads a selection from his new collection of short stories, “Mortal Silences, Graveyard Talk”. Photo by Korie Hawkins, Collegian Photographer

By Korie Hawkins

Tragedy happens, causing one to examine their life. An arrangement of short stories send chills down your spine leaving you silent. All of this is what constructed the title of Dr. Bill DeArmond’s, professor of mass communication and film, fifth book “Mortal Silences, Graveyard Talk.”

DeArmond has worked at Southwestern College for 33 years. In the past five years he has published four books: “The Quest for Rational Faith: Common Beliefs Across Sacred Traditions,” “Serving Compassionate Conservations: Why the Christian Taliban is More of a Threat to American Freedom than Islamic Fundamentals,” and two story collections: “Visions of Shadow and Light,” and “Hail, Fredonia! And Other Tales.”

“Mortal Silences, Graveyard Talk,” is a collection of short stories.

“When I was in the sixth grade they asked us to write something about ourselves and I ended up writing a book called, “The Trials and Tribulations of Mr. D.” I think that is what got me started on oral expression and writing,” said DeArmond.

He has always been a reader. He reads over 150 books a year. He said, “I’ve always admired Ray Bradbury, and his short stories.”

Recently releasing his fifth book, DeArmond says, “My family has been my encouragement.”

Outside of his family DeArmond looks to Tom Jacobs, professor of communication. Jacobs said, “We help one another. I send him some of my work, and he will send his, and we’ll exchange feedback. It’s something I really enjoy.”

The book, like DeArmond’s other books, was published under LuLu publishing company. LuLu is an on demand publishing company. A person sends the cover, all the writing and illustrations in to them, and they put it together and post it on their site for people to buy.

DeArmond won the award in fiction for the 2003 Kansas Voices contest for his story “The Wyr of Slater House.”

From 10:00 a.m. to noon on Saturday at College Hill Coffee there will be a book signing. The book is being sold for $12.

DeArmond hopes to sell at least 40 books. He said, “Not having your book nationally known can decrease sales, but 40 is a good number to sell.”

His book can be purchased at www.lulu.com, Amazon.com, Barns and Noble, locally at Moonshadow Book Store or College Hill Coffee.