By Thomas Noble

The Southwestern College library will offer students the chance to participate in International Game Day on Nov. 3 at 4 p.m.  International Game Day is an annual event for libraries from across the world host a game night and is sponsored by The American Library Association.

Over 1000 libraries around the world will participate. Approximately 900 libraries from the United States along with many in Europe, Australia and Asia will take part in the event.

This will be the first year SC participates. The game night will have an Xbox 360 and a Wii set up along with several board games.  Attendees are also encouraged to bring their own board games.

The game night is open for not only students and faculty; it is also open for the local community.

Starting at 6p.m. there will be Xbox 360 and Wii tournaments for attendees to participate in. Games featured in the tournaments include: Mario Kart, Wii Sports, and Kinect Sports.

Veronica McAsey, library director, is coordinating the event. “I am very excited for this,” said McAsey. “It will get people to come into the library. A lot of libraries do have games and have game nights on a regular basis. This is more an organized event.”

Next year the library hopes to have online tournaments with several other libraries participating in International Game Day.

The student life department will be providing snacks and refreshment for the event. Lai-L Clemons, Director of Campus Life, said: “I think it is a thing that a lot of students of would like to attend. A lot of our students are gaming in their rooms, so why don’t they come out and game with other people.”

Jacob Enns-West, computer science freshman, plans to attend the event. Enns-West said, “It’s a good idea. It will bring gamers together.” Referring to the one at his local library, he said, “I think the selection of games could be better.”

Thomas Noble is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email him at Thomas.Noble@sckans.edu.