By Michelle Dreiling

Today it looks like a big Victorian house on the west edge of town, but tomorrow it will be home to table upon table of treasures. The tie-dye clad Bluegrass festival goers and any passerbys will be looking for deals. Leadership hosts their annual garage sale starting Sept. 17 through Sept. 19. Sale items come from Leadership and community members. The sale takes place at 300 West 9th Ave in Winfield, right across the street from Casey’s General Store.

The annual sale is one of the most important fundraisers throughout the year. Lacey Hibbs, elementary education junior, and Nicole Bustraan, elementary education junior, are in charge of the garage sale this year. Hibbs said, “We usually make about $2,000, so we set our goal at $3,000 this year.”

Kaycie Goff, biology senior, and Lyndsie Oathout, biology senior, were in charge of the sale last year. Goff said, “We use the money we make to go on our service trips.  This year we will be going to Albuquerque, NM in January.”

Bustraan said, “We usually try to get the whole Leadership team involved.” The team this year includes about forty people. Leadership team members take shifts to work the sale, and are given credit for each hour that they work. They also earn credit for bringing items to sell.

While raising money and earning credits is their main objective, Leadership members have other reasons to participate. “The most enjoyable part of the garage sale is spending time with my fellow Leadership teammates,” said Oathout. “And I enjoy the hippies who are attending Bluegrass, who stop by every year.”

The garage sale will be open from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sept 17 and 18, and from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Sept 19.

Michelle Dreiling is a senior majoring in communication. You may email her at michelle.dreiling@sckans.edu.