Ties are not very common for freshman class elections on campus. This year’s election was one to make an impact.

“We usually don’t have more than one person run. Typically we don’t have ties,” said Taggart Wall, Student Government Association president. “This is the first time in a long time we have had a tie.”

Katie McComb, Anastasia Prokopis, and Jessie Riggs were the three freshman candidates running for president this year. Prokopis and Riggs faced the tie in the final round. After anxiously awaiting the re-count, Riggs was elected.

Riggs said he felt ecstatic after discovering he had won.

“Everyone in my residence hall said ‘Hi Mr. President,’” said Riggs. “It made me feel appreciated.”

Riggs graduated from Wellington High School where he was involved with student council for four years.  

“This is the first time we have had a good contest and good participation,” said Wall.

This year, 53 percent of freshman voted.

Riggs has responsibilities as the chairperson for the freshmen class. He will be in charge of any class activities. He is responsible for the needs of the freshmen class and will need to call meetings and present those needs before other of SGA senators.

“I would hope that Jessie brings new ideas to SGA and in a different perspective,” said Wall. “Jessie has a real opportunity to at least start large movements and see them accomplished.”

Although Prokopis didn’t win the race she still has plans for the freshmen class.

“I know I have a lot of supporters in the freshmen class and I hope I can represent them,” said Prokopis.

Prokopis will participate in SGA as a business senator, representing the business department.

Prokopis said she wants to help Riggs solve problems. “I wish him the best luck in any problems and that he can get through them,” said Prokopis.

Alejandra Rojas is a junior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at alejandra.rojas@sckans.edu.