Scott Rethorst, junior defender, heads the ball away from a Kansas Wesleyan player during action Saturday in Richard L. Jantz Stadium. The Builders fell to the Coyotes 4-0. (Carly Budd/Collegian photographer)

By Alejandra Rojas

The men’s soccer team played host to Kansas Wesleyan in their final home game of the season. Builders, however, didn’t find success and were defeated by the Coyotes 4-0, Saturday. The men fell 1-5-1 in Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference and are now 5-10-1 overall.

“I’m really upset mainly because I felt like had the chance to go head to head with a nation ranked team, said Edgar Gonzaga, freshman midfielder. “We came out a little scared. They were a really great team, but silly mistakes cost us goals.

Although the men seem disappointed in the loss, Padraig Poland, sophomore forward said he felt the team did their best.

“Obviously were disappointed, but that’s a good sign because we felt we could’ve gotten a better result against a strong opponent,” said Poland. “We gave it our best and that’s all you can ask for.”

Just like his teammates, Julio Calderon freshman midfielder, said he was disappointed with the outcome.

“I thought KWU is a very talented team,” said Calderon. “The things that could have been done differently were to keep more ball possession and we could have done better in the attacking part of the field.

But the Builders won’t throw in the towel just yet, their next match up will be Oct. 26 as they travel to McPherson College.

“To get ready for McPherson we need to get this loss out of our heads and work hard at practice,” said Calderon.

Poland agrees, “We should hold our heads high, learn our lesson and get ready for the next game,” he said.

Alejandra Rojas is a senior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at alejandra.rojas@sckans.edu.