By Ozzie Briesch

With their fist KCAC conference win, Oct. 10, on the road against rivals Friends University, the Lady Builders defeated the Falcons 2-1, in Adair-Austin stadium.

The Falcons got an early lead in the first half after junior forward  Bella McCorvey scored off a penetrating pass from freshman forward Emma Cuda in the 8th minute.

“Their aggressiveness off the whistle caught us off guard a little bit, but after the goal, they got over confident and we really came together as a team and focused,” said Kelsey Gresham, senior goalkeeper.

Reacting quickly to the falcon goal, freshman midfielder Abbie Woods snatched a 12 minute goal off of a cross by junior forward Kaci Hutchinson to tie the falcons 1-1. The game continued to be close all the way until halftime.

In the second half the Lady Builders continued to show their dominance with a goal in the 53rd minute by junior mid center Courtney Hornback with a driven shot over sophomore goalie Shea Poynter, striking the net just under the crossbar giving the Lady Builders their game winning goal to end the game 2-1 over the Friends Falcons.

“We really played together as a whole, and finished some great opportunities. We came to play and just had more heart than the other team,” said Hornback.

The Lady Builders out-shot the Falcons 12-8 in the match. Abbie Woods took two, both finding their way on target, but only one finding their way past the keeper.

Julia Taylor took the team leading four shots and Joy Reyes following right behind her with three.

“We won the game because we worked amazing together as a team, and controlled the ball most of the time,” said, Sierra Mayer, junior midfielder.

With the Lady Builders victory, they now have a 1-1 record for the conference season. Southwestern returns to action this Friday traveling to Hillsborough to challenge the Tabor College Blue Jays at 5:00 p.m.

Ozzie Briesch is a freshman majoring in communications. You can contact him at austin.briesch@sckans.edu.