Sports editor

Saint Mary Lady Spires and the Lady Builders fought until the final whistle. It was a close game until the Lady Builders managed to step their pace up and finish 67-57.

“A little disappointed in our energy but was very proud of our bench. Our second group went and gave us a great spark in the second half and really propelled us to the victory,” said Dave Denly, head women’s basketball coach.

The Lady Builders started with the first two points of the game scored by Zefiryn Bryan, junior forward. Five minutes into the game, the scoreboard reflected a slow paced game with the Lady Builders up 5-0.

Both teams kept up missing their throws throughout the first half. At ten minutes remaining in the first half, the game was 7-6. The Lady Builders and Lady Spires picked up their game in the remaining 10 minutes and went to the lockers 23-22 for the Lady Builders.

The second half started and both teams came out willing to win. The Lady Spires took over the score 33-32 with 15:44 left.

That was the last time the Lady Spires would be up in the score. The Lady Builders answered and turned the score to their side. With four minutes to go, the Lady Builders had possession of the ball and were ahead by six points.

The team started to score and extended their difference to 10 points, which made the final score 67-57.

Bryan said, “The key to the victory was getting the ball more inside because at the beginning of the game we weren’t shooting well, so in the second half we looked more inside and more into the lane.”

Jordan Hobbs, sophomore guard, was the top scorer for the night. Hobbs ended with 13 points, which were four field goals, two three-pointers, and three free-throws. “I just came in did what I had to do, had confidence, which we all needed and I helped my team,” said Hobbs.

Bryan rebounded the most for the night and followed Hobbs with 11 points. She ended with three offensive rebounds and six defensive rebounds.

“We have to be able to maintain what we want to do, we need to be able to play better than we did tonight,” said coach Denly.

The Lady Builders now stand 8-1 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference and 13-5 in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics. The team will travel to Wichita Jan. 19 to face Friends University. The Lady Falcons stand 6-2 in the KCAC.

Angel Vadillo is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at angel.vadillo@sckans.edu.