Zefiryn Bryan, sophomore forward dribbles the ball before making it to the basket as Kendra Austin, senior guard, tries to stop her. Bryan answered with 11 points and three assists for Southwestern. (Jonathan Woon/Collegian photographer)

Brett Bates scored 14 points and the Lady Builders surged past the last place Bethany College Lady Swedes Thursday night 73-44. The win came on senior night at Stewart Field House and improves the team’s record to 20-7 overall and 14-3 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference with one game remaining in the regular season.

The Lady Builders found themselves up by only one point six minutes into the game 8-7. They answered with a 14-5 run that put them up 22-11 with 7:25 left in the half. Bethany never caught up and went into the locker rooms down 37-22.

The second half saw much of the same as the Lady Builders ran away with the game. They took a commanding 56-34 lead with 9:14 remaining in the game and closed the victory out from there.

Bethany shot just 25.9 percent from the field and hit two of 16 three-point shots. Tasha Wagoner, junior forward, led all scorers with 15 points for the Lady Swedes. Zefiryn Bryan answered with 11 points and three assists for Southwestern. The Lady Builders scored 26 points from the line and hit nine of their 23 three point attempts.

The team hits the road for their final regular season game against Bethel College Saturday. The game tips off at 5 p.m. in North Newton.

Clinton Dick is a junior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.