Brett Bates, senior guard, moves the ball down the court Thursday night in Stewart Field House during the women's 75-60 win over Tabor College. Bates led the Lady Builders with 18 points. (Clinton Dick/Collegian photographer)

By Caitlin Dyck

As a team, the Lady Builders begin their Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference play strong, defeating the Lady Blue Jays of Tabor College 75-60. The Builders are now 1-0 in conference play and 5-4 overall. “As a team, our bench came in and really helped us out. We worked well on pressuring, although we could improve on our confidence and taking care of the ball,” said Brett Bates, senior guard.

Starting their season off right, the Lady Builders capitalize on the positive points in their game, but still recognize improvements needed. “We found the open person and moved the ball around well. We need to work on our post defense and executing our plays better,” said Zefiryn Bryan, sophomore forward.

Preparing for their many games to come, the Builders have high hopes for what this conference season may bring. “We communicated well defensively, and attacked the basket well in the second half. Although we need to work on taking care of the ball with rebounding and improving our post defense,” said Dave Denly, head women’s basketball coach.

The Lady Builder’s next match up is against long time rival Sterling College at 5 p.m. Saturday.

Caitlin Dyck is a senior majoring in general communication. You may e-mail her at caitlin.dyck@sckans.edu.