It was a different team that stepped out on the court Saturday afternoon in Salina. One week after being downed by the Kansas Wesleyan Coyotes, the Builders came right back for the semifinal round of the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference.

The women played with fire in the game’s opening half, grabbing an early lead and never looking back.  A 16-0 run put them up 25-6 midway through the first half. They continued to build on their lead over the Coyotes, going into the locker rooms up 37-15 at the half.

A 10-0 Kansas Wesleyan run early in the second half renewed the Coyotes’ hopes of staying in the game.  The Coyotes slowly climbed back into the game throughout the second half, but it was too little, too late. The Builders won 58-51.

Amy Laible, senior forward, led Southwestern in scoring with 12 points. Laible went 5-6 from the field and 2-3 from the free throw line. Tylar Hartfield, sophomore forward, followed with eight points and also snatched nine rebounds for the Builders.

The women hit 24 of their 61 shots for the game, but shot just 17.6 percent from beyond the arch.  They also struggled from the free throw line, going 7-20. The Builders played well defensively, racking up 16 steals and forcing 24 turnovers.

The women play for the conference championship at 7 p.m. March 3 against the Sterling Warriors.

Clinton is a freshman majoring in convergent journalism.  You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.