The scene is set for a first-second place matchup between Southwestern and Friends University Thursday as the Lady Builders knock off the University of Saint Mary Spires Saturday night in Leavenworth. Saturday’s game did not play out nearly as upbeat as the first time the two teams met early this season, ending in a high-scoring overtime win for SC 93-91.

The purple and white jumped out to a 14-4 lead at the 8:42 mark in the first half. They went into the locker rooms at halftime up by the same margin 27-17.

They had their biggest lead of the game late in the second half, going up 57-38. The Spires then went on a 8-2 scoring run to narrow the lead with two mintues remaining, but the Lady Builders held on to win their tenth consecutive game 63-49.

Brittney Chamberlin, junior guard, hit five of her nine shots and led the team in scoring with 13 points. Brett Bates, senior guard, and Zefiryn Bryan, sophomore forward, followed with 12 points each.

The key stat of the game was the turnover ratio. The Spires committed 24 turnovers compared to the Builder’s 14.

The win improves their record to 17-5 overall and 11-1 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference. The team maintains their first place standing in the conference and faces off against the second place Friends University Falcons Thursday night in Stewart Field House.

Friends was the last team to beat Southwestern in early December and is the team’s only conference loss. If Southwestern wins, they take a two-game lead over the Falcons with five games remaining in the regular season. If Friends takes the victory Thursday, they jump to first place in the standings with an 11-2 conference record and a tiebreaker over the Lady Builders.

The game tips off at 6 p.m.

Clinton Dick is a junior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.