Good pressure and ball control gave the Lady Builder soccer team a 2-0 victory over the visiting Sterling College Warriors.

High winds were sweeping across Richard L. Jantz stadium Wednesday evening as the Southwestern defeated Sterling College to improve their overall record to 5-4-1 and their conference record to 1-1.The win also moved the Lady Builders to No. 3 in the KCAC.

“It certainly makes us feel a lot better, and really builds our confidence since our tough loss last game,” said head women’s soccer coach Joe Wood.

The first goal came just four minutes into the game as freshman midfielder Courtney Hornback had an easy kick in goal. The early goal seem to give a major boost to the Lady Builders as they forced Sterling into a defensive game thanks to lots of pressure and ball control.

A second goal came 11 minutes into the game as a scramble  in front of the Sterling goal gave the loose ball to freshman forward Kaci Hutchinson for another easy goal, increasing their lead 2-0.

They continued pushing Sterling College into a defensive panic near mid field.

Senior defender Morgan Constantine is coming off a knee injury and received some playing time. She said she is feeling better.

“I’m making do with what I got. I am going to keep doing everything I can to help my team out,” said Constantine.

Sterling College opened the second half of the game with a little pressure of their own as they seemed to be communicating a lot better. However, the Lady Builders midfield and defensive efforts were proving too much for Sterling. SC only allowed six shots on goal.

“I’m really glad we got this win in conference. I feel really good about helping my team get this shutout,” said freshman goal keeper Sarah Walsh.

Walsh faced a one-on-one situation two times during the game.

“One-on-ones are something I really enjoy doing, and I have been working on those to get better, so having a couple of those situations was something I felt good about,” said Walsh.

“As long as we keep up our consistency, and have a team with players that want to play with their teammates beside them, we will be happy with the outcome of this season,” said coach Wood.

The Bethany College Swedes, currently 0-2 in KCAC play, visit Richard L. Jantz stadium Friday at 6 p.m. to take on the Lady Builders.

Will Rosson is a senior majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at will.rosson@sckans.edu.